Saturday, May 12, 2007

Me and my "crafts"

Over the years I have been into a lot of crafts and collections. You name it, i must have, in one way or another, tried it.

Elementary was stationery and stickers stage. I can still remember those days I would ask my Mom to buy me statio from the bookstore or specialty store. The regular swap days with friends was something I look forward to every week.

High school was for coins/bills and stamps. I was into this for a short time only and had to give the coins to my Dad when I found out how expensive the old coins were. I used to check each coin I get from store change or from my daily "baon" to see if I have that coin in my collection already. Today I sill have a handful of those big and heavy one peso coin, a two-peso bill, the green bagong lipunan five peso bill and the ten peso bill.

College was cross stitch years. The first pattern I completed was a coaster sized candy cane design. I have done a couple of religious figures, a ballerina and a huge princess-like lady design. Graduation year forced me to stop in mid design an angel pattern called Angel of Hope. Up until now the angel hasn't given up hope that some day I find time to complete her and hang her in a beautiful frame in my small apartment.

A few years back was beading and accessory-making. This was the best craft I got into until I accidentally dropped by the scrapbooking world! This was the craft that was a hobby and a business all-in-one thing. My hubby and I was able to buy our (then-dream) Pioneer home theater system! I started designing for family as gifts and for personal use but when my MIL saw what I had created, she asked me to make a few bracelets so she could try offering to fellow teachers. I have to thank my aunt who taught me how to clamp the ends and the difference between a crab lock and lobster lock. I also have my MIL and SIL to thank for, for they are my "retailers". My MIL sold to teachers in the province and my SIL to customers in the pharmacy she's working for. Beading might not be the best for me but it certainly is my most loved craft.

And just last year I started scrapbooking. My current flame! This is something of an accidental craft... The building where our office is located held regular bazaars during holiday season. While going around the bazaar, at the far end of the site was a small nook filled with scrapping materials. I was just looking at the cute embellies and the lady named Iris (Yes! It's Iris of Scrapbukan!) showed me her layouts... I was smitten by her designs but turned off by the expensive materials that were in front of me. So I shrugged of the thought of trying the craft. After a few weeks the building offered a 2-hour session for scrapbooking. And guess who the facilitator was... yes! it's Iris again. She's really one artistic (and beautiful) lady. After that session let's just say the rest is history....

Well that's my craft story... I am just wondering what's the next craft I'll get into...

No comments: